Basil is one of the most popular herbs used in
cooking today. Famous for its delicious aroma and warm peppery flavour, it
is typically enjoyed with Italian and Mediterranean cooking: it is the
natural companion to tomatoes and essential in Italian cooking.
versatile, basil can be used to flavour a variety of foods including
soups, salads, sauces, main meals and desserts.
In herbalism, basil is
known for its relaxant and digestive properties.
Foil Fresh seal for extra flavour
Basil is a fantastic store cupboard essential. It is great for
vegetables including aubergines, carrots, spinach, courgettes and is
delightful with salads and pasta.
- Stir into chopped fresh tomatoes with a dash of olive oil for a delicious bruschetta topping.
- Sprinkle over pizzas, roasted vegetables or tomato soup.
- Add to tomato sauces for pasta.
- Mix with olive oil, tomato purée and garlic to make a salad dressing.
- Bake whole baby courgettes in olive oil, chopped tomato and Basil.
- Add to a light creamy sauce to pour over salmon.
Recipes using Basil