Gluten Free Cottage Pie Cobbler
1 sachet Gluten Free Cottage Pie
450 grams extra lean minced beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
300 millilitres (1/2 pint) cold water
100 grams (4 ounces) frozen peas
125 grams (5 ounces) gluten free self-raising flour
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon gluten free xanthan gum
25 grams (1 ounce) butter, diced
50 grams (2 ounces) Cheddar cheese, grated
50 millilitres (2 fluid ounce) semi-skimmed milk
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
- 2 Make up the Cottage Pie according to the sachet instructions but without the potato topping. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum.
- 4 Add the butter and mix with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle in the cheese and rub in to evenly distribute. Try not to mix too much as the heat from your hands might start to melt the cheese.
- 5 Beat the egg and milk together, make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour a little into the well. Work the flour mixture gently into the centre and keep adding the milk mixture until you have a soft but firm dough.
- 6 Lightly flour your work surface and with your hands push or roll the dough to approximately 2cm thick. Cut out the scones with a medium cutter. Place on to the prepared cottage pie and brush the scones with milk. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the scones are cooked through and golden.
|Energy||445 / 1867|