The Schwartz brand established in 1889 by William Schwartz, the son of a German immigrant, in Halifax, Canada.
William E. Schwartz, the son of the founder, was the first person in Canada to sell pure spices. Formerly only compound spices were sold such as ginger mixed with cornmeal or flour. From these early beginnings great emphasis was placed on quality and William Schwartz convinced people it was better to buy pure, top quality spices in smaller quantities than poor quality bulk. From England he imported the first bicycle with pneumatic tyres and travelled throughout Nova Scotia selling his spices.
William E Schwartz is succeeded by his son William H.C. Schwartz who became President and Managing Director in 1924. During the 1920's the slogan was 'Say Schwartz and be Sure'. The company expanded quickly.
The company is selling to over fifty countries.
The big 'S' trade mark was introduced and this is still the symbol customers identify with Schwartz products in store.
The Schwartz brand entered the British market where it was distributed by Jenks Brothers Foods.
A joint venture between the Canadian company WH Schwartz & Sons and Jenks Brothers Foods created Schwartz Spices UK Ltd.
Saw the acquisition of Jenks Brothers Ltd by R. Paterson & Sons Ltd
Schwartz became wholly owned by R. Paterson & Sons Ltd
1984 - present
The Schwartz Brand is bought by McCormick and Company, Incorporated, the world's largest producer of herbs, spices, seasonings and flavourings - www.mccormick.com. Following rationalisation within the UK the McCormick branding was phased out and replaced by Schwartz.
The Schwartz branding changed across Europe.
[Go back to the top of the page]