Pork Belly Carnitas
Discover Mexico’s answer to pulled pork with this meltingly tender, slow-cooked, pork belly marinated in our zingy citrus, garlic and coriander Herdez Yucatan Seasoning.
- Toast the tacos over an open flame for 10-20 seconds on each side for an extra smoky flavour. You could also use pork shoulder instead of pork belly, if wished.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 170°C / 150°C Fan. Sit the pork into a deep roasting tin and rub with the lime juice and ½ sachet Herdez Yucatan Seasoning. Pour in water until it comes 1 cm up the sides of the tin. Roast in the oven for around 2 hours - or until the meat is coming away from the bone. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 30 minutes. Discard any excess fat.
- 2 Meanwhile, place the onions into a bowl, squeeze over the lime juice and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- 3 Shred the meat into bite-sized pieces into the bottom of the roasting tin. Season with the remaining ½ sachet Herdez Yucatan Seasoning, or to taste, and mix well.
- 4 For the tacos: heat the Tacos according to packet instructions (see Tip). Set a warm taco onto a plate, add general spoonfuls of the shredded pork and sprinkle with the pickled red onions and freshly chopped coriander. Drizzle with the Salsa Verde. Wrap and enjoy!