Homemade Japanese Furikake Seasoning
Make your own Furikake – an essential Japanese seaweed seasoning.
- Bonito flakes are flakes of dried smoked bonito, a fish in the tuna family. It is used in Japanese cuisine to add salty flavour to soups, stocks, sauces, and noodle and vegetable dishes.
- Nori are sheets of dried seaweed used as a wrap for sushi and a garnish for soups and noodles.
- Look for bonito flakes and nori in the international aisle of some supermarkets, Asian specialty markets, or online.
- Use Homemade Japanese Furikake Seasoning to prepare Shiitake & Bacon Rice Balls with Spicy Ginger Sauce, and Sesame & 7 Spice Chicken Rice Balls with Quick Kimchee.
- 1 Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan on medium heat for about 2 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool completely.
- 2 Place the sesame seeds, bonito flakes, nori, sugar and Sea Salt in food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well blended.
- 3 Store in a tightly covered jar in a cool, dry place up to 1 month.