If you’re looking for a great appetizer that is quick and easy to make, then these Spring Onion Pancakes with a Chilli-Ginger Dipping Sauce are ideal.
Inspired by Asian flavours, you can create a wonderful dish with traditional pancakes and a dipping sauce packed with rich and warming heat from Schwartz Ground Ginger and Schwartz Crushed Chillies. Full of vibrant flavours, this is the perfect appetizer before an evening meal. It also makes a great dinner party starter, or a simple and easy treat if you’ve got unexpected guests!
1. To make the dipping sauce, whisk the soy sauce, rice vinegar, Schwartz Crushed Chillies, Schwartz Ground Ginger, chilli oil and sugar. Season to taste with Schwartz Black Pepper and Sea Salt and set to one side.
2. Mix together all-purpose flour, corn flour, Salt, sugar and Schwartz Ground Turmeric, in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together sparkling water, soy sauce and sesame oil. Once combined, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together with a whisk (try not to over mix, it’s fine if there are a few lumps). Fold in your sliced spring onions.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan over a medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add 50ml (2fl oz) of batter to the pan. Keep moving the pan as you cook to make sure the pancake is cooked evenly. When set and golden on the bottom (around 2 minutes), flip the pancake.
5. Press down on the pancake and cook until golden (around 1 minute). Continue to cook, turning the pancake often for another 5 minutes, ensuring the spring onions are cooked through and golden. Once cooked, transfer to a wire rack and repeat.
6. Serve the pancakes warm with the garnished chilli-ginger dipping sauce.