Roast Chicken and Gravy
1 whole medium chicken
2 teaspoons oil
2 tablespoon Classic Roast Chicken
1 tablespoon cornflour
300 millilitre water
- Allow chicken to rest for 15 -20 minutes before carving.
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- 2 Score the chicken skin across the breasts and legs. Place onto a baking tray, brush the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle the seasoning evenly onto the chicken, cover with foil.
- 3 Roast in the middle of the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove foil and carefully pour the cooking juices into a jug. Return pan to the oven and roast chicken for a further 20 minutes uncovered, until cooked through and golden.
- 4 Skim the fat off the pan juices. Remove chicken from the baking tray and place pan over a medium heat, add the cooking juices back to the tray along with the water. Bring to a slow simmer to de-glaze the baking tray, scraping any bits from the tray with a spatula. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Mix cornflour with 2 tbs of water and add to the juice in the tray, stirring all the time, simmer for 2-3 minutes and serve with the roast chicken.