Spicy Salt Cured Egg Yolks
6 (1 yolk serving)
Step aside grated Parmesan. Salt-cured egg yolks are the new umami-loaded pasta topper in town. You can turn egg yolks into solid orbs of golden goodness with a simple mix of salt, sugar and spices, in about four days. Serve the firm yolks with congee, or grate, shave or crumble over pasta, noodles, rice, salads, vegetables and soups.
- *Egg Safety and Handling: Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness. Wash hands with soap and warm water before handling eggs and at every step of egg preparation.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve cured egg yolks with congee, or grate, shave or crumble over pasta, noodles, rice, salads, vegetables and soups.
- 1 Mix the salt, sugar and spices in a medium bowl until well blended.
- 2 Spread half of the seasoned salt mixture in a small glass baking dish (about 9 x 7ins). Make 6 indentations into the salt mixture with the back of a spoon. Place an egg yolk into each indentation. Gently cover yolks with remaining salt mixture. Cover with cling film, leaving one corner open for moisture to escape. Refrigerate for 4 days.
- 3 Preheat oven to 75ºC, 170°F Gas Mark <¼ (this is usually the lowest setting it will go). Remove egg yolks from the salt mixture and carefully rinse in water. Place yolks on a rack in small rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 3 hours, checking to make sure the oven is not too hot (the egg yolks should be dried out after being in the oven rather than browned).