Winter Porridge with Mulled Fruit
19 December 2017 | Schwartz
Blog post by Aimee Ryan
If you’re looking for something warm, hearty and full of festive flavours to start your day, then you need to try this Winter Porridge. These creamy spiced oats paired with naturally sweet and syrupy mulled fruits makes for the most comforting breakfast. It’s vegan, can be made gluten-free (just use gluten-free oats) and full of nutritional goodness too. Plus it’s so quick and easy to make! The fruits are steeped in cranberry juice and mulled wine flavourings (don’t worry - there is no alcohol in this breakfast) for the most delicious and Christmassy breakfast topping you can imagine.
Serve with some clementine slices and a drizzle of maple syrup or a dollop of orange marmalade. Enjoy!
PREP TIME: 7 mins
COOK TIME: 13 mins
TOTAL TIME: 20 mins
For the mulled fruit
- • 150ml (¼ pint) cranberry juice
- • 1 Schwartz Mulled Wine sachet
- • 1 small apple, chopped
- • 75g (3oz) mixed berries
- • 1 handful dried cranberries
For the spiced porridge
- • 75g (3oz) rolled oats
- • 550ml (18fl oz) water
- • A pinch of salt
- • 4 tbs dairy-free milk
- • 1 tsp Schwartz Ground Cinnamon
- • ½ tsp Schwartz Ground Mixed Spice
1. Make the mulled fruit by adding the cranberry juice and mulled fruit sachet to a small saucepan and bringing to a boil. Add the fruits, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Leave to stew whilst you make the porridge.
2. In a medium saucepan, add the oats, water and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, simmering for 3 minutes. Stir in the dairy-free milk and spices during the last minute.
3. To serve, ladle the porridge into two bowls and top with the mulled fruit mixture. Add any extra toppings such as maple syrup, orange slices or chopped nuts and serve.