Taste You Trust
McCormick’s robust quality & track record
Our track record of more than 130 years, is unmatched in giving consumers complete confidence that our products are authentic and safe. This reflects our proactive and integrated approach to food fraud prevention and mitigation across the total supply chain.
Our robust quality standards, sourcing and manufacturing practices are leading the industry in helping to prevent herb and spice adulteration.
EU Food Fraud Network’s Coordinated Control Plan report into Herb & Spice Adulteration
- Schwartz welcomes the EU Food Fraud Network’s Coordinated Control Plan report into Herb & Spice Adulteration across Europe.
- Although disappointed by the suspicious results highlighted in the report, we are pleased this issue is getting much needed attention and are determined to drive positive change across the Herb & Spice sector.
- Ahead of the report being published, we analysed all our Schwartz retail products on sale across Europe, using expert external laboratories, mirroring many of the methods used by the EUCCP research team.
- We have also conducted an in-depth review of our food fraud prevention and mitigation protocols across all seven end-to-end herb and spice supply chains covered by this report.
- We found NO evidence of fraudulent practices.
- We are proud of our unmatched track record over many years in giving consumers complete confidence that the products we make are authentic and safe.
- We know that it’s possible to offer consumers herbs and spices of the highest quality, flavour, aroma, and integrity. We do this through a proactive and integrated approach to food fraud mitigation and prevention across the total supply chain.
McCormick’s response to the investigation was to conduct thorough independent testing. Our detailed review of our food fraud prevention and mitigation protocols across all six end-to-end herb and spice supply chains covered by the report found no evidence of adulteration across all the McCormick branded turmeric, chilli, pepper, paprika, saffron, oregano & cumin products analysed.
- We have commissioned a thorough and independent analytical verification of McCormick retail products on sale across Europe
- We have used a combination of targeted testing linked to parameters specified in raw material specifications and non-targeted testing such as fingerprinting that assess the raw material integrity against adulteration
McCormick remains vigilant
McCormick remains vigilant with awareness training and whistleblowing in order to raise industry standards
- McCormick is committed to raising internal and external awareness of food crime. Internal training continues to be offered to employees across the business
- We use PreventFoodFraud@McCormick.com to enable anyone to flag adulteration concerns
- We are keen to work with industry partners to help consumers easily identify authentic and safe products
View our press release here