Ginger Spiced Speculaas Cookies
225 grams (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon Ground
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
4 Cardamom Pods , , husks removes, seeds ground (with mortar and pestle)
175 grams (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
200 grams (7 ounces) light-brown sugar
- 1 In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg and Cardamom.
- 2 In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in flour.
- 3 If mixture is too dry, add small amounts of water one tablespoon at a time until you have a firm but pliable dough.
- 4 Make dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 5 Preheat oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- 6 Roll out the dough to 5mm thick. Cut out the biscuits using a Christmas cookie cutter (or a traditional Speculaas mold if you have one). Lay the biscuits on trays lined with baking paper. Bake until cookies are set and just beginning to turn light gold around edges, about 20 minutes.
- 7 Leave to cool on wire racks.