Ginger Snaps with Brandy Cream
50 gram (2 ounce) butter
50 gram (2 ounce) caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
50 gram (2 ounce) plain flour
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Lard for greasing
Filling (whip together):
150 millilitre (1/4 pint) double cream
2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 Pre-heat theoven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- 2 Melt butter, caster sugar and syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sieved flour and Ginger. Allow the mixture to cool until the side of the pan can be touched comfortably.
- 3 Thoroughly grease 2 baking trays and the handles of 2 wooden spoons with lard. Place heaped teaspoonfuls of the biscuit mixture at least 10cm (4") apart on one of the baking trays (maximum 4 to a tray). Cook in oven for approx. 5 minutes until the biscuits are bubbling and of an even golden colour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes untl the biscuit mixture is almost set.
- 4 Meanwhile place 4 more heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto remaining baking tray and cook as before. Quickly, but carefully, lift a cooling biscuit onto a wooden spoon handle and wrap around with the bubbled side of the biscuit uppermost. Allow to set. Repeat using another biscuit and second spoon. The first biscuit will have set hard and the handle may be removed, re-greased and used for the next biscuit. (If the biscuits become too hard to shape round the spoon handles, return to oven for a few seconds and soften again.)
- 5 Continue cooking and shaping the biscuits until all the mixture is used.
- 6 Fill cold biscuits with the prepared brandy cream. The unfilled ginger snaps may be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or frozen for several months before use.