Lemon & Poppy Seed Drizzle Cake
100 gram (4 ounce) butter
125 millilitre (4 fluid ounce) double cream
325 gram (11 ounce) caster sugar
225 gram (8 ounce) self-rising flour
1 tablespoons Poppy Seeds
1 lemon, zest and juice of
- Make delicious Lemon Drizzle muffins, spoon cake mixture into muffin cases, and reduce cooking time to 20-25 minutes.
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- 2 In a food mixer combine the butter and 225g (8oz) of the sugar in a bowl until creamy, add the cream and beat until smooth. Mix in the eggs one at the time, finally add the flour, Poppy Seeds and the lemon zest (reserving the juice for the topping), mix to a smooth even consistency.
- 3 Line a loaf tin with non-stick greaseproof paper and fill with the mixture. Ensure the top is smoothed with a spoon.
- 4 Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden and skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place on wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, combine the remaining sugar and the lemon juice in a pan to make the drizzle glaze. Bring to a light simmer for 1 minute to allow the sugar to dissolve, then set aside to cool.
- 5 Prick the cake all over with a fork (ensure the prongs go fairly deep into the cake to ensure the drizzle will soak through the entire cake), then pour over the drizzle glaze. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, or until cool to touch, then remove from loaf tin. When the cake has completely cooled cut into slices to serve. Cake can be stored in an air tight container for 3 days.