Simple Mediterranean Soufflés
75 gram (3 ounce) butter
25 gram (1 ounce) flour
225 millilitre (8 fluid ounce) milk
1 tablespoons Dried Basil
1 tablespoons tomato purée
1 tablespoons grated cheese
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
Schwartz Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3
- 2 Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir quickly to make a roux. Gradually add the milk, stirring continously to remove any lumps. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- 3 Add the Basil and season to taste.
- 4 Remove from the heat and add the tomato purée, egg yolks and cheese, mix well.
- 5 Whisk the egg whites with a pinch a salt, until stiff. Delicately fold them into the yolk mixture.
- 6 Grease 4 individual ramekins and fill ¾ of the way up. Place the ramekins on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 minutes, until risen. Serve immediately, with a salad on the side.