Cinnamon Apple Cake
When it comes to flavour pairings, there aren’t many out there that beat the classic combination of apples and cinnamon. Using Schwartz Ground Cinnamon, we’ve got this delicious apple cake recipe that is naturally sweet and tasty.?
Apples are a great ingredient as they’re available all year round and easy to get hold of. The apple sauce provides a deep apple flavour for the cake, with the addition of Schwartz Ground Cinnamon offering a subtle spice. For the complete finish we’ve also added chopped apples, a little brown sugar and more Schwartz Ground Cinnamon to top the cake, giving it a final kick of flavour.
This recipe steers clear of refined white sugar and finds its sweetness from apple sauce and honey. You can use shop-bought apple sauce or even make your own (shop-bought apple sauce often has added sugar, so keep an eye out for that).
This cake is perfect for a family get-together or party. It will last up to 5 days in the fridge (in an airtight container) if you want to keep it to yourself!
175 grams (6 ounces) apple sauce
75 grams (3 ounces) coconut oil or butter, melted
75 grams (3 ounces) honey
675 grams plain yogurt
275 grams plain flower
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Ground
Optional apples, chopped (to taste)
Optional brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- 2 In a large jug mix together the apple sauce, melted coconut oil or butter, honey, yogurt and egg.
- 3 In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and mix. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl and mix.
- 4 Pour the mixture into a greased and line loaf tin. In a small bowl toss together the chopped apples, sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle these over the top of the cake.
- 5 Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and cover the tin loosely with foil (this stops the top from over-browning) and return to the oven for another 20 minutes until cooked through.
- 6 Allow to cool a little before removing from the tin by lifting up the sides of the paper. Once cooled, slice and serve.