Pickled Baby Beetroots
2 tablespoons Pickling Spice
1 litre (1pint 14 fluid ounce) white vinegar
125 gram sugar
1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) baby beetroots, raw
- 1 Place 2 pickling jars in boiling water for at least 3 minutes to ensure they are sterilized. Then set aside until you are ready with the pickling.
- 2 Pour the vinegar into a large pan with the sugar and the pickling spice. Place on the hob and heat on medium until just starting to simmer. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 2 hours.
- 3 Add your unpeeled beetroots to a large pan filled with water. Place on the hob and bring to the boil. Cook for about 35 minutes until beetroots begin to turn tender. Remove and peel your beetroots. Add to the prepared pickling jars.
- 4 Strain the spiced vinegar into a clean pan, re-heat until piping hot, then carefully pour over the beetroots in jars all the way to the top, to completely submerge them then screw on cap tightly.
- 5 Best eaten after 2 weeks. Use within 6 months.