Meringue Vanilla Ghosts
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 110°C, 225°F, Gas Mark ¼.
- 2 Line a baking sheet with baking paper, and have ready a piping bag fitted with a ½ cm plain tip.
- 3 In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar a little at a time and continue to beat until the meringue holds very stiff peaks.
- 4 Meanwhile split the Schwartz Vanilla pod and scrape the seeds out with a knife. Add the seeds to the meringue mixture and mix until they are evenly distributed.
- 5 Place a little of the meringue on the underside of each corner of the baking paper to prevent the paper from sliding.
- 6 Transfer the meringue to the piping bag and hold firmly. Pipe with even pressure 5cm high mounds of meringue. Carefully press two small chocolate drops for eyes into each meringue ghost.
- 7 Bake the meringues for approximately 1 to 1½ hours or until they are dry and crisp to touch. Cool on wire rack.