Christmas Spiced Ham
A succulent Christmas ham finished with a cinnamon and sherry flavoured glaze and studded with whole cloves.
- 1 Soak the ham in water for 12 hours prior to cooking, to remove any excess salt.
- 2 Rinse the ham and place in a large stock pot or saucepan with the onion and Bay Leaves. Cover with cold water and simmer for 3 hours until the meat becomes tender.
- 3 Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 350°C, Gas Mark 4. Remove the ham from the water and allow to cool for a few minutes. Cut away any skin, leaving a good layer of fat, then carefully score the fat in a diamond pattern, making sure not to cut into the meat.
- 4 Place on a baking tray and stud the ham with the Cloves in the scores that you have made on the fat.
- 5 Gently heat the jam in a saucepan and stir in the sherry and Cinnamon. Use this to glaze the ham generously.
- 6 Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until sticky and golden.
- 7 Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.