Cocoa Rubbed Ribs with Passion Fruit BBQ Sauce
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoon Mild Chilli Powder
1½ teaspoon Dried Basil
1 teaspoon Onion Salt
¼ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
2 (2 kilograms) racks pork baby back ribs, white membrane removed
225 millilitre (8 fluid ounce) passion fruit juice
175 millilitre (6 fluid ounce) barbecue sauce
- If passion fruit juice is unavailable, halve, then scoop out the pulp of 4 passion fruits. Pass through a fine sieve to remove the seeds, then use the juice collected in the recipe.
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 150°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2
- 2 Mix brown sugar, cocoa powder, Chilli Powder, Basil, Garlic Powder, Onion Salt and Chillies in a small bowl. Rub spice rub evenly on ribs, then wrap each rack tightly in foil. Place on roasting pan.
- 3 Bake in a pre-heated oven for 2½ to 3 hours or until ribs are very tender
- 4 Meanwhile, bring passion fruit juice and barbecue sauce to simmer in small saucepan on medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
- 5 Pre-heat the grill to medium. Remove foil from ribs and place ribs under the grill. Grill for 5 minutes per side or until ribs are evenly browned, brushing occasionally with barbecue sauce.