Spinach and Chickpea Pie
makes 2 (each serves 4)
There’s few things as comforting as a hearty filo pastry pie. For the warmer months, try replacing the traditional meat variety with our seasonal recipe, filled with fresh spinach and chickpeas. This vegetable pie is flavoured with our mild curry powder and earthy black onion seeds, which is perfectly absorbed by the creamy chickpea and potato filling. The key to many spinach recipes is to make sure you remove as much liquid as possible from the leaves after cooking before continuing to the next step – this ensures that you don’t add excess moisture to the dish. Squeezing out the water from the cooked spinach means you’ll get both a tasty filling and lovely flaky pastry once the pie is cooked.
- 1 STEP 1: Pre-heat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- 2 STEP 2: Place the potatoes into a pan with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, until tender.
- 3 STEP 3: In a large pan heat the oil and onion add the Schwartz Mild Curry Powder and Schwartz Sesame Seeds, cook on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes, until soft. Place the spinach in a large colander and pour boiling water over it. Leave to drain. When cooled squeeze out as much water as you can. Drain the potatoes and tip them into the pan. Break them up gently into chunks. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and spinach and stir through.
- 4 STEP 4: Carefully unroll the filo pastry and brush a 20cm (8”) loose-bottomed sandwich tin with some butter. Brush the first sheet of pastry and lay it in and across the tin so that it hangs over the side. Do the same with another sheet of pastry to cover the other side of the tin, butter and fold two more sheets and lay it in the base of the tin to create a firm base.
- 5 STEP 5: Spoon the filling into the tin and fold up the pastry that is overhanging so that it covers the filling. Brush generously with the remaining butter and sprinkle with Black Onion Seeds.
- 6 STEP 6: Bake for 35 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve.