Making a home-cooked dish from scratch doesn’t always make it to the top of the to-do list. After a long day working, looking after children and trying to find a bit of time for you, there’s not much time left.
This sausage casserole recipe, using the quick-and-easy Schwartz Sausage Casserole packet mix, is the perfect companion for a busy household that is after home-cooked goodness, without all the fuss.
Following the packet recipe will produce a wonderful casserole in its own right, but if you fancy taking things a step further, you can try this modern Mediterranean take on the classic. Hearty and warming, it’s perfect for cold winter evenings (but that’s not to say it won’t keep everyone happy all year round).
With some simple additional ingredients from the fridge and store cupboard you can transform this traditional casserole. The recipe mix and chopped tomatoes work beautifully to provide an earthy, Mediterranean flavour (which is primarily where this dish differs from the packet recipe). Swap out traditional pork sausages for chicken sausages (or you could use chicken thighs or breasts) and pair them with smoky chorizo to give the dish a luxurious depth and warmth.
Serve the casserole with a smooth sweet potato mash that balances with the rich Mediterranean flavours. Then sit back, relax and enjoy!
Note: Don’t be afraid to mix it up yourself, and suit the dish to your tastes and preferences.
1 pack Schwartz Sausage Casserole
450 grams chicken sausages
1 onion sliced
175 grams mushrooms
200 grams chorizo
1 Tin (400 grams) of chopped tomatoes
100 grams spinach
4 sweet potatoes (to serve)
- If you’re pushed for time, cook the sausages in the pan for longer to reduce time needed in the oven.
- 1 Pre-heat your oven to 180˚C.
- 2 In a large pan, fry the chorizo, onion and chicken sausage until browned.
- 3 In a separate bowl, mix the Schwartz Sausage Casserole spice mix with the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 4 Add the pan ingredients and the Schwartz Sausage Casserole mix into a casserole dish or large baking tray.
- 5 Add the mushrooms and spinach to the casserole dish, then stir.
- 6 Cook for around 30 minutes, or until the sausages are cooked through.
- 7 Serve with sweet potato mash. You could also add some red jalapenos for a sweet heat kick.