Indian Chicken Biryani
2 tablespoons oil or 50g (2oz) butter
1 onion, sliced
450 gram (1 pound) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
400 gram tin chopped tomatoes
150 millilitre (1/4 pint) water
175 gram (6 ounce) basmati rice, rinsed
100 gram (4 ounce) frozen peas
- 1 Heat the oil or butter in a deep frying pan and gently fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- 2 Add the chicken and sprinkle in the packet contents. Cook over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken is browned.
- 3 Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil.
- 4 Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat for 14-15 minutes, or until the rice is al dente and the liquid has been absorbed. Give the rice a quick stir occasionally whilst cooking, but remember to replace the lid.
- 5 Vegetarian Suggestions:
- 6 Simply replace the chicken breasts with Quorn meat-free chicken-style strips, or similar meat-free product.
- 7 Vegetable Biryani - Try replacing the chicken with a selection of aubergines, mushrooms and peppers. Simply add the diced vegetables instead of the chicken, but only cook for 3-4 minutes. Then follow the remaining cooking instructions for a delicious Vegetable Biryani