Roasted Christmas Turkey with Lemon
2.7 kilogram (6 pound) free range fresh turkey, giblets removed
100 gram (4 ounce) butter, softened
1 tablespoons Lemon Pepper
1 tablespoons Mixed Herbs
6 lemons, cut into wedges
225 gram (8 ounce) ready prepared stuffing
Schwartz Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season
- 1 Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4. Remove the giblets from the turkey and rinse the cavity with cold water. Pat the entire bird dry with kitchen paper.
- 2 Beat together the butter, Lemon Pepper and Mixed Herbs. Carefully release the skin from the breast of the turkey and ease half the seasoned butter between the breast and the skin. Smooth the skin back into place.
- 3 Take 4 or 5 lemon wedges and place inside the turkey cavity. Fill the neck end of the bird with the stuffing and smooth the skin back into place and secure, if necessary, with cocktail sticks under the bird.
- 4 Lift the turkey into a roasting tin and smooth the remaining seasoned butter all over the bird. Cover with two thicknesses of foil and roast for 1 hour.
- 5 Remove the turkey from the oven and turn the bird over onto its breast. Baste and re-cover with the foil and roast again for 1 hour.
- 6 Remove from the oven and turn the bird back over. Scatter the remaining lemons around the turkey. Roast uncovered for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the turkey is speared with a skewer. Remove the cooked turkey from the oven and cover with foil and tea towels. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving on a platter.